MHI offers several types of employment opportunities including permanent full-time positions, term positions, and international project positions. The international opportunities for utility professionals consist of long-term assignments (multi-year projects requiring staff relocation), medium-term/multi-month assignments (temporary relocation and travel may be required), and short-term assignments (approximately one month or less). Short-term assignments allow for a work-from-home option or initial short-term travel for situational assessment.Apply Now
Opportunities to advance your career;
Put your professional skills to good use;
Opportunities for professional development;
Acquire new skills and experience, and participate in challenging and interesting work;
Enjoy a friendly corporate culture that supports work-life balance;
Acquire knowledge of international business practices;
Opportunity to travel and explore exotic locations and cultures;
Competitive compensation packages and timely remuneration;
A diverse workforce;
Global corporate social responsibility initiatives;
Travel and accommodation services (for international project staff) and support of well-being;
A flexible nine-day work cycle, which generally provides every second Monday off (for Winnipeg office staff).
MHI is a company where you can build an exciting career, or put the knowledge you have acquired throughout your career to excellent use.
MHI is always looking for individuals who are interested in joining our dynamic divisions, which deliver innovative, world-class products and services in their areas of expertise.
Search By Criteria
Fibre Plant & Facilities Officer
Corporate Office, Winnipeg , MB, CA
Posted on: 2018-02-09 21:59:36
Your Role / Project Related Tasks:
Under the consultative direction of the Managing Director, the Fibre Plant & Facilities Officer will perform diversified tasks pertaining to project management, planning, design, procurement, obtaining easements and permits, cable installation, inside and outside plant construction and restoration, and operation and maintenance of Manitoba Hydro Telecom’s (MHT) commercial fibre optic network.
- Design and develop optical and metallic cable solutions to meet customer requirements working closely with customers, stakeholders and suppliers.
- Provide project leadership in the implementation of new fibre optic cable solutions as well as modifications to existing MHT systems. Select the solution and related products needed to meet customer requirements.
- Create tender documents and manage the tender process to select vendors for services and/or material.
- Prepare solution cost estimates as requested
- Prepare and send written requests for access to Manitoba Hydro owned fibre strands and comply with any conditions under which the fibres are released for MHT usage.
- Prepare easement or access requests and related drawings or sketches needed to accompany such requests.
- Provide technical guidance for existing and prospective clients as well as sales staff, stakeholders and suppliers needed to convey technical information for a detailed design, implementation, on‐going enhancement and support of Manitoba Hydro Telecom's commercial data network.
- Provide technical support pertaining to the definition, assessment and periodic review of co‐location space requirements including pedestals and equipment shelters.
- Participate in the preparation of capital forecasts and recommend priorities based upon sound technical and economic analysis.
- Support day to day operation of the commercial data network in cooperation with Manitoba Hydro’s Communications Department field support staff and MHT’s technical operations team.
- Support the coordination of customer outages as required to implement network changes.
- Ensure that engineering and maintenance records are up-to-date.
Two year diploma in Electronic or Computer Technology from a recognized institute and additional technical or business administration courses, plus a minimum of seven years relevant experience designing, constructing and implementing telecommunications cable systems.
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills.
- Possesses a thorough knowledge and understanding of an electrical utility’s optical telecommunication systems and related processes.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, plan, organize and complete projects using project management principles to identify and secure material and labour resources, and direct the work of others.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability in the design, implementation, operation, maintenance, and problem resolution.
- Demonstrated experience with utility drawings, schematics, and data bases as well as the Smallworld GIS.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and experience in developing and installing fibre optic cable systems.
- Good knowledge of MHI and MH policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of budgeting and financial procedures would be an asset.
- Ability to make independent decisions to ensure successful completion of projects while also meeting customer and stakeholder expectations.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, manage technical staff, handle a heavy workload and provide quality leadership and direction.
- Demonstrated ability to work under stressful conditions.
- Willing to work extended and non‐standard hours and to travel outside the headquarter zone for varying periods of time, occasionally exceeding one week.
- Valid passport and Manitoba Drivers’ License.
- Must obtain and maintain a current Personnel Risk Assessment and a clear security rating.